“Bill of Mom”
17 May 2016
The “Bill of Mom”
- Every action and word I take will be guided by what is best for my child.
- I will remember that this child did not ask to be in the situation of having additional parents and homes, and so it is my highest responsibility to them to create a home of equal love, concern, involvement, and respect as I would a biological child.
- I will only enter this relationship once I have accepted, acknowledged, and freed myself of emotional ties to the past that brought them to my home and life.
- I will be a most positive force for this child and for moms like me everywhere who are also hoping to bring light to these blended families.
- I will respect all other parents, grandparents, and family that this child has with the understanding that love is not a zero sum game, and there is enough love to go around.
- I will be the guiding example of this act of unconditional and endless love to my children and to those around me.
- I will remember to be proud of the traditions and bonds and impact I am having on my child, and realize that they are important and worthy.
- I will show up, even when it is hard.
- I will show my child what a healthy family looks like by loving their parent that I married, and extend my vows to them.
- I will be happy.